We have spent the afternoon testing some recipes in our cast iron Dutch oven. I wanted to try a chicken pot pie. I made the base in the house, so I’d be ready to go when Rob got back from his errands. It could easily be made at a campsite, over the fire or over a camp stove. You could also make the filling at home, and take it camping with you in your cooler to make dinner more quickly. It just depends on what you like to do while you are camping.
I used: 2 carrots, chopped
2 pieces celery, diced
1 onion, chopped
2 cups leftover chicken or turkey, from my freezer. Otherwise, cook 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
3 Tablespoons sweet rice flour
Saute the celery, onion and carrots in a little canola oil. Then add the chicken, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Add 2 cups of the broth. Reduce heat and simmer until the veggies are tender. Mix the remaining cup of broth with the sweet rice flour, and slowly add to the mixture, stirring all the time. Bring back to a boil. It should thicken up. At this point, taste it. If it needs more salt, or spices, add them to taste. If it has become too thick, add a little more broth, and if it is not thick enough, you can always mix up a little more broth and sweet rice flour and add it in. This proportion worked for me today.
I tried the recipe from gluten-free Bisquick.
Mix: 3/4 cup gluten-free Bisquick
1/2 cup milk
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon dried parsley (they suggested fresh, but I had dried and it was fine)
Mix the milk and egg. Mix the Bisquick and parsley. Put the wet ingredients into the Bisquick and add the egg. Stir.
Note: You could use your favorite pot pie filling recipe, or your favorite biscuit recipe and I’m sure it would work fine. I have to eat gluten-free, but most people don’t, so feel free to modify to suit your tastes.
Rob put coals down on the cook table and placed the iron pot on top. We added the pre-made filling, then dropped the topping on it by the spoon-full, and added the lid.
He put hot coals on top of the lid. He also added a few unlit ones, and they did begin to burn as some of the other ones got consumed.
We cooked it for about 30 minutes. We did open it up and check it a couple of times, which allows heat to escape, so I think it would have taken a little less cooking time if we had left it alone.
The biscuits browned, and they were cooked perfectly. They were not like dumplings at all, which is exactly what I was hoping for. The lighting is causing the filling to look purple, but really, it was fine, and not that color.
It was a delicious meal for a cold, wintry day. Rob did enjoy looking at the snowy trees on his errand. We got a little snow on Sunday, which was the first of the year, but his errands took him up in elevation a little bit, and it was lovely up there.